Social Studies Department
Help all students learn and become contributing citizens.
In order to fulfill our fundamental purpose of helping all students learn at high levels and become active citizens, we are dedicated to creating a school in which:
- Our curriculum is collaborative, innovative, and relevant. Our instruction is cutting edge.
- We model respect for students and other staff.
- We maintain high expectations for student success and growth.
- We care about and connect to all our students.
- We recognize and celebrate the achievements of students and staff.
- We exemplify how highly motivated staff can motivate students to improve the world.
- We create a fun and enjoyable learning and working environment.
We have established these collective commitments as a basis for our values as teachers and professionals at Metea Valley High School. They represent how we can make our vision a reality.
- We will develop curriculum and instruction that is rigorous, relevant, and addresses all students.
- We will provide opportunities for active citizenship and encourage students to develop a deeper global understanding.
- We will collaborate with one another to create curriculum, instruction, and assessments that promote student success and growth.
- We will communicate effectively with students, parents, and other staff and encourage others to assist students learn and grow.
- We will Live with Integrity, Inspire a Passion for Learning, Foster Positive Relationships, and Expect Equity and Excellence for All.
- We will be a source of an infectious positive attitude for the Metea Valley Community.
Social Studies Course Information
All students must take one year of World Geography, Honors World History, AP Human Geography, or AP World History, and one year of American Society, American Studies, or US History, and half of a year of Government or AP Government. Most four-year colleges in the state of Illinois require that a student take at least three years of social studies coursework.
- Model United Nations
- Youth and Government
For more information, contact Donald Pankuch, Social Studies Department Chair, at email@example.com or 630.375.8856